10 May 2013

Is it Possible?

I wonder, to much chagrin, is it possible to achieve spiritual enlightenment while living among the populace, continuing a life as prescribed by society?  It seems most, if not all, who achieve a certain level of enlightenment seem to forego a path within the typical populace, becoming monks, priests, rabbi's in a secular environment to study from within.  To attain high spiritual growth do you have to walk into the forest alone such as Walden had? I believe you do.  At least for a significant amount of time.  The distractions living among the crowd are almost insurmountable.  To leave your family, your offspring, to venture onto the path toward enlightenment as Buddha did almost seems disgraceful and quite the opposite of the Teachings.  In fact, the story of the Prince who walks out on his newborn and dying wife simply is off-putting to say the least.  I know the sublime nature of finding one's self, I personally have had an amazing experience, a spontaneous enlightened moment of which no words would ever be able to describe.  I know Nirvana, I know what everyone is seeking, I've been there, I know it is possible.  Wondering whether this insight has been a blessing or a curse over the years has confounded me.  To seek you shall never find.  To know, how can you not seek?  Such a conundrum, a labyrinth, a Mobius strip.  To attain such a state of grace whilst living a life of validation is simply not possible, but I must try, I will not leave my son.  I know what awaits after the ever after, the consciousness of being.  So, at this juncture in life, I am trying to turn to simplicity, enjoyment, fulfillment, acknowledgment, understanding, acceptance, and adequacy until such a time I may venture forth into the forest alone on the quest of quests.  To understand is only the first step of a very long journey which isn't measured in a lifetime, but many lifetimes.

No comments: